The name of “Herne Bay” is said to have emerged after a dispute between the older and younger players of Folkestone Hockey Club. The young players decided to break away and form a new club.
The Herne Bay Hockey club was formed in 1926. The town already had a well-established club – Folkestone Hockey Club, who initiated the famous Easter International Festival with games played on the Upper Leas near the Metropole Hotel. No hockey was played after the 1914 Festival because of the Great War. The festival and club were revived in 1922.
In 1926 the festival was moved from the Leas to the “new” sports ground at Cheriton Road and the first game played by Herne Bay team was on October 2nd 1926 against a team from Southern Railway played at Ashford (S.R. won 4-1). After another break for World War II the club reformed and has had its share of international players. The club today continues to thrive and is one of the largest in Kent.
GROUND: The Pavilion
County Ground, Cheriton Road
Folkestone, Kent CT19 5JU
LOCATION: Take M20 J13 signposted Folkestone. Follow signs Tourist Information/The Leas. At traffic lights turn left onto Cheriton Road. The entrance to the ground is 200 yards on left between Bowls Club and Safeway.
COLOURS: Men: Royal blue & white halved shirts with navy blue shorts, royal blue stockings with white tops.
Ladies: Royal blue & white halved shirts with navy blue divided skirts, royal blue stockings with white tops.